What’s the difference between the Boundary Waters and Quetico?
Boundary Waters (US side):
- There is a per person user fee per trip (not per night).
- Lottery entry for Moose Lake and Fall Lake is open through January 13th, 2015. First come, first serve for all other entry points and Moose and Fall Lakes begins on January 28th, 2015.
- Must camp at designated camp sites
- Each site has a Forest Service steel fire grate
- Each site has a latrine in the woods
- Maximum of 9 people and 4 canoes
- Canoes/kayaks must be registered
Quetico (Canadian side):
- There is a per person per night fee
- Permits can be reserved 5 months in advance
- Camp anywhere, use Leave No Trace practices
- No live bait
- You can only use barbless hooks (ok to pinch the hooks that you have now)
- There are no fire grates or latrines
- Maximum of 9 people
- RABC permit needed for entry, call for details about this
- No firearms allowed
- Passports needed for return to USA