There are many canoe outfitters in Ely and they all want you to do business with them. So, why should you choose Piragis Northwoods Company? Allow us to share a few reasons why we think you should choose us. These are not necessarily listed in order of importance...but they are all important. We all know that making a claim is easier than delivering the goods. Here at Piragis we really do try to live up to the hype. When we fail to do so, we appreciate hearing about it and we take your criticism to heart.
- Service: We pride ourselves in seeking to provide the best service in Ely. We will give personal and careful attention to all of the needs of your group for your Quetico or Boundary Waters Canoe Trip. We will treat you as if you are the only customers we have. From our first phone conversation to our goodbyes at the end of your trip, we will be there to answer any question, deal with any concern, and do everything required to make sure you have the best canoe trip possible. We make it a point to pay attention to every detail. We know that small details, if not attended to, can ruin a trip.
- Gear: We will provide you with the latest and best equipment on today's market. We purchase our canoe fleet new each spring as well as most of our gear. You are assured equipment that is in excellent shape. Most of our tandem canoes are Kevlar and weigh in the 40 - 45 lb range. We have several different models of canoes and kayaks to address your groups specific needs. Ultra-light carbon fiber or wood bent shaft paddles and comfortable lifevests are included with the canoe rental. We use Nemo, Sierra Designs and Big Agnes tents, Granite Gear packs, Cooke Custom Sewing food packs and tarps, Big Agnes and NEMO sleeping bags and pads, and MSR Windpro stoves. Our staff uses the gear and we know it works.
- Great Food: We do an extra special job at providing not only generous quantities, but also top-notch quality in food for your canoe trip. We know that food in the wilderness is an important part of the trip. We start you off with fresh food (steak, chicken, baked potatoes, veggies, bacon and eggs for your first breakfast), followed by a couple more fresh options. Then, we provide a variety of tested and tasty freeze-dried entrees by Backpacker's Pantry and Cache Lake Foods, for the rest of your trip. Our lunches are great - cheeses, salami, specialty soups by Cache Lake, Swedish Limpa Bread, bagels, gorps, trail mixes, fruit drinks, peanut butter and jelly, and a good variety of trail snacks. Call us and we'll send you a sample menu. It will make your mouth water. We also accommodate vegetarians, gluten free, or people who are allergic to certain foods.
- Experience and Knowledge: Our staff loves taking Boundary Waters canoe trips - therefore we are in the wilderness as often as possible. This means you will get expert and timely advice on routes and conditions before your trip. We will spend extensive time going over maps with you to assure that you are more than well prepared when you hit the water. We know the routes, where the good campsites are, what the portages are like, where you can expect to catch fish, and points of interest - like waterfalls and Native American pictographs. If you are new to canoe camping, we will spend as much time as you want, going over techniques and canoe camping wisdom. Adam Macht and Drew Brockett have personally traveled most of the Boundary Waters and Quetico, and they are more than anxious to share that first hand knowledge with you.
- The Best Guides In The Business: We have a great staff of guides here at Piragis Northwoods. They love what they do and they are exceptional at it. Whether it is finding a great fishing hole, that 5 star campsite, identifying plants, animals, and rocks, sharing knowledge about the history of the area, or their expertise around the campsite - our guides are top-notch. In addition to all of this...they have great personalities and really care about people. They are all trained in First Aid and have years of experience.
- Fair Pricing: You will find outfitters that charge less than we do and some that charge more. We guarantee that you will get a fair price for our services. Comparing outfitters is not easy. Many have multi-layered options that get confusing. We offer only one kind of full-outfitting package - ultra light and top drawer. Make sure that in your shopping you compare "apples to apples". We also extend substantial discounts to youth groups, Scout groups, and large groups.
- Great Outdoor Store: Every person who does canoe trip outfitting with us receives a 10% discount online or in our retail store here in Ely so they can get things they need for their trip. We help you get the gear that's best for the Boundary Waters. We have a wonderful store full of essentials so you can stock up before and after your trip. Add to that a great selection of gifts to take back home for friends and family. We have a catalog called The Boundary Waters Catalog that you can shop from all year for all of your canoeing needs. Don't forget to check out our website as well.
So, if you are planning to take a Quetico or Boundary Waters canoe trip this coming season give us a chance to deserve your business. We promise that we will do everything we can to make sure you have the best canoe trip possible. We can't control the weather or the bugs - but we'll even try to do that!
Call 800-223-6565 to start planning your adventure.