Boundary Waters Vs Quetico
What’s the difference between the Boundary Waters and Quetico?
Boundary Waters (US side):
- There is a per person user fee per trip (not per night).
- First come, first serve for all entry points begins the last Wednesday in January.
- Must camp at designated camp sites
- Each site has a Forest Service steel fire grate
- Each site has a latrine in the woods
- Maximum of 9 people and 4 canoes
- Canoes/kayaks must be registered (unless your state doesn't require it)
Quetico (Canadian side):
- There is a per person per night fee
- Permits can be reserved 5 months in advance
- Camp anywhere, use Leave No Trace practices
- No live bait
- You can only use barbless hooks (ok to pinch the hooks that you have now)
- There are no fire grates or latrines
- Maximum of 9 people
- RABC permit needed for entry, call for details about this
- No firearms allowed
- Passports needed for return to USA