faq1.jpgBoundary Waters FAQs

  • What’s the first thing I need to do to get my canoe trip going? A canoe trip starts with reserving a permit for a specific entry point on a specific date. Call 800-223-6565 to get started.
  • If I’m not renting a canoe, do I need to license my own canoe? If you live in MN or another state that requires a license, you must have a current license on your canoe while paddling in MN.  If you are from a state that does not require your canoe to be licensed, it does NOT need to be licensed in MN.  You will need to show an ID that confirms you are a resident of a state that doesn't require a license.
  • Can I get maps for my trip ahead of time? You sure can. It’s easy. Feel free to Order Maps Online or give us a call to place your order. If you are using our outfitting services, call Adam or Drew and we’ll just add the maps to your outfitting invoice.
  • What are the outfitting hours? From mid-May until mid-September, outfitting is open from 6am until 8pm. During the early and later part of the season, we open at 7am. Keep in mind that we are available for rentals until the lakes are frozen. Piragis Northwoods Company is open all year to answer your outfitting questions!  Feel free to call us to make sure about the hours before you arrive.
  • What are the average temperatures up in Ely? Click here
  • What kind of animals might I see or hear? Some of the bigger animals we have are moose, wolves, deer and black bear. A few other creatures we have are, but not limited to, beavers, otters, muskrats, pine martens, fishers, red squirrels, chipmunks, and turtles. 
  • Do I need a BWCA permit for a day trip? You need a permit any time you are in the Boundary Waters. For day trips, you can fill out a self-issue permit located at each entry point. One part of the permit goes into a box and the other stays with you during the day.
  • When is the best time for fall colors? Usually, the best colors are mid- September through early October.
  • Will my cell phone work in the BWCA & Quetico? Do not count on your cell phone working while in the wilderness. Sometimes you can get lucky, but the best way is to have a satellite communication device with you. Call ahead to reserve.
  • When do you sell your used canoes and rental gear? We sell our entire fleet of canoes each year and let them go in October. However, people can put down $200 to hold one of these canoes at anytime of the year. In fact, we suggest you do that so you get the model that you are looking for. As for rental equipment, October is the time when we start the sale, but will have a few things available throughout the year.
  • When is blueberry season? The middle of July is usually a good time for this.
  • When is blackfly season? Generally, this is in the latter part of May until the end of June.
  • Is the water clean enough to drink? While we know people who do drink straight out of these lakes (it is some of the freshest water that is left in the USA), there are still plenty of microorganisms that could make you sick. We recommend you use a filter, tablets, boil or use a LifeStraw or SteriPEN. We have a nice selection of these items in our store and online.
  • How do I cook if there is a fire ban in my area? You would need to bring a stove that uses fuel…. canisters or white gas for instance.
  • Can I get one or two canoes on my vehicle? Yes, no problem at all. We are able to create a rack for two canoes by using 2x2s, foam blocks and straps.
  • Since there are bears, what do we do with our food? Most people will choose to hang their food in a tree. But, there are some other thoughts on this topic. Another idea is to hide the food pack in the woods about 50 yards from camp. We rent bear barrels and that can give you peace of mind as well. Some people will just keep the pack in camp and put a few pots and pans on top so that they act as an alarm. We feel that one major thing to do is to keep your camp clean and your food packed tightly so you keep the food odors away. With all this info, it is rare to have bear problems, but we must keep in mind that they are in this wilderness.
  • Can we bring a dog? Yes, dogs are allowed. It is a good idea to bring a copy of the dog’s rabies certificate with you. Also, the dog should be well behaved. It should not run after other people, wildlife, or bark. Remember, there are other people who are looking for the quiet and solitude out there and you don’t want to ruin it for others with an ill-behaved pooch.
  • What’s the difference between the Boundary Waters and Quetico?
    • Boundary Waters:
      • There is a per person user fee per trip (not per night).
      • Permits = First come, first served for all entry points begins on January 30th, 2019.
      • Must camp at designated camp sites
      • Each site has a Forest Service steel fire grate
      • Each site has a latrine in the woods
      • Maximum of 9 people and 4 canoes
      • Canoes/kayaks must be registered
    • Quetico
      • There is a per person per night fee
      • Permits can be reserved 5 months in advance
      • Camp anywhere, use Leave No Trace practices
      • No live bait
      • You can only use barbless hooks (ok to pinch the hooks that you have now)
      • There are no fire grates or latrines
      • Maximum of 9 people
      • RABC permit needed for entry, call for details about this
      • No firearms allowed

Book Now Plan Your Trip

Contact Us

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Invalid Input
Please let us know your message.
Invalid Input


Contact Info

105 N Central Avenue
Ely, Minnesota 55731

Info: (800) 223-6565
Fax: (218) 365-6220
Local: (218) 365-6745



Get Our Newsletter

Enter Email Address Below

to subscribe or update email