Stargazing in the BWCA
Piragis Northwoods BWCAW Guide Service
- Trip Dates: September 21 - 27, 2024
- Trip Cost: $1,595 + tax
- 6 days and 5 nights in the BWCAW. (9/22 - 9/27)
- Nights of 9/21 and 9/27 in a hotel room in Ely included.
- Full Outfitting Package
- Guided by one of our exceptional and experienced wilderness guides.
- Maximum of 8 guests on this trip.
- Participants must be 16 years old or older to join.
- Trip Activity Rating: 1.5 out of 5
- This trip will likely spend one day traveling to a basecamp. We may move campsites if needed. There will be some portaging, but it will be minimal. Participants must be prepared for varying types of weather and cooler conditions.
Nowhere else can you see the stars and Northern Lights so clear at night than the wide-open wild spaces of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Our backyard is void of man-made lights and it is far from the plumes of industry that cloud and obscure the natural beauty of night's canvas. There is something ethereal, surreal about the constellations when you view them in solitude. Join us for a magical time as we track the power of the great bear and map the path of Orion's belt accompanied by the haunting backdrops of the calls of the common loon and howls of the elusive timber wolf. Imagine lying on your back on a comfortable therm-a-rest gazing at the limitless vaulted inky black ceilings brimming with stars.
Discover Cassiopeia, the Twins, Andromeda, Orion, Taurus and more. Learn how to mark Alpha Stars such as Betelgeuse and Polaris to find their different mythological shapes in the sky.
In 2020, The Boundary Waters was named one of the world's Dark Sky Sanctuaries.
Would you like to…
- View the night sky uninhibited by light pollution?
- Learn about constellations, both where they are located in the sky and the stories behind them?
- View the Milky Way in all of its splendor?
- Have a chance to see the Northern Lights?
- Explore and fish the BWCA?
- Learn canoe camping techniques from our expert guide?
- Relax and unwind in a beautiful wilderness setting?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, our Stargazing in the BWCA trip is right for you.
Since the beginning of time, humans have been drawn to the night sky. The vastness of the universe holds instinctive intrigue. Join our 6-day, 5-night Boundary Waters canoe trip to gaze upon the heavens like never before.
Our trip will take you far away from the sights and sounds of the city, into the heart of the wilderness, where our stargazing will be undisturbed by light pollution. The constellations and Milky Way will pop out of the night sky like many have never seen.
Enjoy the night sky like you never have before in the quiet solitude of the BWCA. This trip is sure to create memories that will last a lifetime and inspire wonder.
Things to know about a BWCAW Trip before signing up:
- This is wilderness camping. Portages and campsites will have uneven ground. You will be walking over rocks, roots, in the water, and up/down paths. It is important to feel comfortable with your mobility on uneven terrain.
- On a canoe trip, it is important to be able to get in and out of a canoe on your own. The landings can be slippery and rocky. You will also have to get up off the ground whether it’s from your tent or camp chair.
- We will be portaging on this canoe trip. You will have to carry everything that you bring for the trip (remember to pack accordingly). It’s okay to make multiple trips, but you should be able to carry a pack (30-50lbs) over uneven terrain.
- A BWCAW trip requires teamwork. The guide will take a lead role on camp chores and portaging but be prepared to pitch in to help the group.
Please Note: A $300 deposit is required to hold your spot. Final payment for this trip is due 30 days before the trip and is non-refundable. Please look into trip insurance if needed.