Women Exploring the Boundary Waters
Wilderness Canoe Trip
Piragis Northwoods BWCAW Guide Service
- Trip Dates: July 20 - 26, 2024
- Trip Cost: $1,595 + tax
- 6 days and 5 nights in the BWCAW. (7/21 - 7/26)
- Nights of 7/20 and 7/26 in a hotel room in Ely included.
- Full Outfitting Package
- Guided by one of our exceptional and experienced wilderness guides.
- Maximum of 8 guests on this trip.
- Participants must be 16 years old or older to join.
- Trip Activity Rating: 3 out of 5
- This trip will likely include a couple of different campsites with some days of moderate travel and portaging. Participants must be prepared for varying types of weather.
Join new friends on a wilderness experience this summer. Paddle, portage and camp in America’s canoe country with other women who share your spirit of adventure. This is our most highly rated trip by past participants, and judging by the laugh meter it must be the most fun, too. Take a break from the humdrum and discover a pristine wilderness and maybe a little about yourself at the same time.
Wilderness can present some challenges for women that are different from those encountered by men. Our goal on this adventure is to provide women with the knowledge and experience needed to feel comfortable in the wilderness. What women may lack in strength, they make up for in finesse and there are many secrets that can make portaging, paddling and setting up camp not only easier, but more fun!
Our trained staff at Piragis Northwoods Company includes some of the most knowledgeable and trail savvy women in the outfitting business. The wilderness skills that our guides have acquired over the years are vital to making any adventure in the woods a success and before this trip is over you’ll be able to feel at home in the wild! Working together, our group will encounter every activity in the Boundary Waters with a cohesiveness that can only happen when everyone participates.
After our first night in Ely, we’ll rise early and shuttle our canoes and gear to a nearby wilderness entry point. Giving ourselves the opportunity to get a true taste of the wilderness may include sitings of waterfalls, pictographs and perhaps even floating bogs. Our route will take us up close to the flora and fauna that make the Boundary Waters Canoe Area such an interesting place to travel. Keeping with our theme, we’ll be adapting new wilderness skills every step of the way, while still having time for fun and relaxation along the way.
Our days will present opportunities for hiking, fishing if you like, and relaxation. The trip will be split with some travel days and base-camping. With each bend in the river and each new lake we encounter, the natural habitat varies and so will our experiences.
Whether you want to brush up on your wilderness skills, experience the beauty of the woods and make new friends, or discover the outdoors with a group of women who enjoy canoe camping, this trip is a must!
Your trip begins and ends with nights spent in Ely where we encourage you to experience Ely.
Things to know about a BWCAW Trip before signing up:
- This is wilderness camping. Portages and campsites will have uneven ground. You will be walking over rocks, roots, in the water, and up/down paths. It is important to feel comfortable with your mobility on uneven terrain.
- On a canoe trip, it is important to be able to get in and out of a canoe on your own. The landings can be slippery and rocky. You will also have to get up off the ground whether it’s from your tent or camp chair.
- We will be portaging on this canoe trip. You will have to carry everything that you bring for the trip (remember to pack accordingly). It’s okay to make multiple trips, but you should be able to carry a pack (30-50lbs) over uneven terrain.
- A BWCAW trip requires teamwork. The guide will take a lead role on camp chores and portaging but be prepared to pitch in to help the group.
Please Note: A $300 deposit is required to hold your spot. Final payment for this trip is due 30 days before the trip and is non-refundable. Please look into trip insurance if needed.